Feng shui is the art and science of organizing space to maximize positive energy, or chi. It originated in ancient China, and has become very popular in the western world. Successfully practicing feng shui is a lot more complicated than the very basic definition given here. For this reason it is useful to provide 10 feng shui rules you should follow.
Make The Front Of The House Inviting. Positive energy enters the house through the front door. The front of the house should be welcoming and tidy, with no clutter or obstacles. Nothing should be broken, and dead plants must be cut away.
- De-clutter Every Room. This is absolutely fundamental to ensuring a harmonious home and life. Clutter in the home restricts the flow of positive energy, and can result in cluttered thinking. Having a tidy, organized home will result in feelings of calm and relaxation. Anything that is broken, unused, or brings back unhappy memories should be thrown away.
- Position Furniture Correctly. Furniture should be positioned so as not to restrict free passage through the room, as this is a reflection of the flowing of energy. People should be able to sit with their backs to a wall whenever possible.
- Keep Work and Rest Areas Separate. Any work or home office space should be kept very distinct from living or sleeping areas. If these are mixed then relaxation will be impossible, and work material kept in the bedroom will prevent getting a good night’s rest.
- Make Repairs Promptly. Any house features such as stairs, doors or windows that are broken or not working restrict the flow of positive energy. Repairs should be made as quickly as possible to allow the energy to flow freely again.
- Hang Mirrors. Mirrors are believed to reflect positive energy, therefore doubling its potency. They also work by preventing the flow of negative energy around the home. However, it is not recommend placing a mirror facing a front door, as it reflects good energy back out the house.
- Display Plants, Flowers, and Fruit. Displays of fresh flowers and plants promote positive energy, although ones with thorns should be avoided. A bowl of fruit rather than flowers should be situated in the bedroom to encourage sexual health, and displays of oranges and lemons throughout the home are thought to bring good luck.
- Install A Water Feature. This is essential to the successful implementation of feng shui, which translates as wind water. A water feature will promote feelings of relaxation and harmony.
- Fill The House With the proper Colors. Colors have a special significance in feng shui, with different colors representing different things. For example, green symbolizes nature, and is therefore representative of life and hope. Yellow represents power, and red and purple are said to be lucky. Relaxing colors are best used in living spaces.
- Avoid Sharp Lines And Corners. Roundness is preferred in feng shui. Sharp corners are though to emit negative energy. Wherever possible corners should not point to beds or chairs, as they will prevent calmness and relaxation.
These 10 feng shui rules you should follow show how to begin to create a more harmonious and prosperous home. This ancient art has helped millions of people around the world to organize their lives in such a way as to promote calmness and well-being. Although there is a lot to learn with feng shui, these rules show that there are some basic initial steps which can be taken to begin to make a difference in your life.
Posted by Keren Fathi-Poor at 16 May, 2011